Skip to main content

Prayer Skills- Positioning Our Body

 The Amidah is recited with the feet together, emulating the stance of the Angels. We find other physical positions described in classic sources, such as sitting and meditating (Rabbi Avraham Abulafia; Chayei Olam haBah, page 18a). A position found in the Bible involves kneeling with the hands outstretched. “He kneeled on his knees, and spread his hands toward heaven (II Chronicles 6:13).” Ezra likewise said, “I fell on my knees and spread my hands toward God, my Lord (Ezra 9:5).” Rabbi Moshe Cordevero explains that’s spreading the hands alludes to the fact that one is receiving spiritual sustenance from on high (Pardes Rominim 15:3).

 

There is also the “prophetic position,” which involves placing the head between the knees. “ Elijah went up to the top of the Carmel, and he placed himself on the earth, and placed his face between his knees (I Kings 18:42).”

It is important to note that the origin of this position may be found in the Pesach Offering, which had to be roasted, as taught in Parshat Hachodesh, “with its head on its knees (Exodus 12:9).” Rabbi Levi Yitzchak of Berditchev explains that the two knees represent the Sefirot of Victory and Splendor, and that placing the knees with the head, releases the spiritual energy of these Sefirot to the mind (Kedushat Levi, Parshat Bo).

Rabbi Chanina ben Dosa once went to study Torah as a disciple of Rabbi Yochanan ben Zakkai. Rabbi Yochanan’s son became ill, and the teacher said, “Chanina my son, pray for him and that he may live.” Rabbi Chanina placed his head between his knees and prayed, and the sun became well (Berachot 34b).

It is told that Elazar ben Dordaya did not leave a single harlot whom he did not visit. He once heard of a certain harlot on a distant island, whose price was a purse of gold coins. He took a purse of gold coins, crossing seven rivers to meet her. During the act, she passed some air, and jokingly said, “Just as this air cannot return to its place, so Elazar ben Dordaya will not be accepted if he tries to repent.”

He went and sat between the mountains and hills. He said, “mountains and hills, seek mercy for me!” They replied, “Before we seek mercy for you, let us seek it for ourselves, since it is written, ‘ The mountains will depart, and the hills will be removed’ (Isaiah 54:10).”

He then said, “It depends on no one but me alone.” He placed his head between his knees and moaned with weeping until his soul left him.

A Heavenly Voice proclaimed, “Rabbi Elazar ben Dordaya is prepared for life in the World to Come.”

Rebbi commented, “Not only are those who repent accepted by God, they are even called Rabbi!” (Avodah Zarah 17a)


By: Rabbi Simcha Weinberg, n''y

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Open Your Hands...

On this day of fasting, I want to share my insights on the verse of Poseach es yadecho that we say in Ashrei 3 times day. 1. Poseach es Yadecho - You open your hand(which is the source of plenty), Umasbia lchol chai Rotzon - And you feed them according to "their wants". Note: Hashem's generosity goes beyond"needs". . An Expression of Hodaah - Gratitude   2. Poseach es yodecho umasbia l'chol chai, Rotzon - "with your willingness". Meaning, you make their wish, (those who are Chai Ratzon) Your will. An Expression of Hodaah- Gratitude   3.(this one is a teffilah, versus the other 2 were hoda'ah.) Poseach es yodecho - please Hashem, open your generous hand, Umasbia lchol .. And now I pray for all that are suffering from eating disorders, and I have in mind some specific names too.. Chai - life through gentle and effective healing, Rotzon - and an appetite to eat..   4. This one is an hoda'a again.. Poseach es yodecho,umasbia lchol, Me and

6 Feet Apart?

This morning I thought about how I have changed with this Pandemic.   I am now jogging on the other side of the path together with my son.  I have had to run away from other joggers to keep my distance.  I wait for someone to pass before charging into my elevator without making sure the coast is clear first.  Thank  You Hashem for this gift of training my level of awareness, and I want that to expand and continue in all I do!  Than You Hashem for teaching me to practice running away from things that may harm me. Thank  You Hashem for being My Teacher and showing me how to give  myself the space to truly make a choice between what is unlimited or limited. Thank You Hashem for providing me the ability to now use the space to honor my choices this way. Thank You Hashem for sharing the gift of "6 Feet Away"  as to actually be so Close to You.. Thank You Hashem for letting me see a fellow Jew  apply this "6 Feet distance" before acting, to think and ask what Hashem wants

Shekalim 104:14

The 21st of Shevat is the Yahrtzeit of Rav Yechiel Yehoshua (ben Yerachmiel Tzvi) Rabinowitz, the Bialer Rebbe (1901-1982). Born in Biala, Poland, he was a grandson of the Divrei Binah of Biala and a direct descendent   of the Yid Hakadosh. The Divrei Binah passed away when Yechiel Yehoshua was only 4, and tragically, Rav Yerachmiel Tzvi passed away shortly thereafter at the age of 26. In 1919, Rav Yechiel married Beila Chana Pesha, and in 1924, he was formally installed as Rebbe of Biala, and set up court in Sedlice with a population of 200,000 Jews. He was exiled to Siberia with his family in 1940. In 1947, he moved to Eretz Yisrael, living in Tel Aviv for 8 years before setting up his beis midrash and kollel in Zichron Moshe in Yerushalayim, where he remained for the next 27 years. He authored the sefer Chelkas Yehoshua.   “[You] Who causes grass to sprout for cattle, and vegetation for the labor of man, to bring forth bread from the earth (Psalms 104:14).” A person’s service of God